Stressed about your next writing assignment?
Need a second pair of eyes on your writing?
We are glad you are here!
Come meet one of our professional staff and work-study students who will help you think critically about your writing so that you can plan, write, and revise more effectively.
During your one-on-one sessions, our consultants will have an in-depth discussion about your work and help you meet not only your short-term goals (having an improved paper), but will also attend to your long-term objective of becoming an analytical thinker, confident writer and effective communicator.
What the Writing Consultants Can Help You With
- Any writing assignment, including essays, reflection papers, research papers, opinion papers, etc.
- Brainstorming and choosing a topic
- Formulating a thesis statement
- Drafting and revising
- Grammar, punctuation, and word choice
- Organization of a paper
- Clarity, cohesion, and coherence
- Integrating source information
- Citing sources, plagiarism, and APA Style
What the Consultants Cannot Do
- Write for you
- Act in place of your instructor
- Proofread and edit for you
- Provide ready answers
- Serve as writing experts
- Guarantee error-free writing or a perfect paper
- Promise high grades
- Perform miracles
Four quick benefits of attending writing consultation sessions
Why use the service regularly?
Think of it like going to the gym. If you go once, you get some quick results: a one-day workout that keeps your body energized for one or two days. If you want to witness long-term results, you need frequent visits and professional guidance from a coach.
The Math and Writing Center is a space designed to help you exercise your mind. Attending one session will help you achieve only short-term goals. Visit the Center regularly, and you will start improving your skills that will help you become a more effective writer, a more insightful thinker, and a more persuasive communicator.
How to make the most of your consultation sessions
- Don’t wait until the last minute. Plan to visit the Center well in advance of your deadlines.
- When booking an appointment, be specific. Help our consultants serve you in the most effective way.
When you come to a session, bring with you:
- Assignment instructions
- A printed or electronic copy of your work at any stage in the writing process
- Questions about the assignment or writing in general
- Your notes, outlines, sources, and related readings
- Your smile!